Six Years Old

my baby

Six and a half years ago, I peed on a stick. Five sticks just to be sure. I thought there was no way I could be pregnant because I was nursing a baby. And you can’t get pregnant when you’re nursing a baby.

Well, guess what? You can and I was. I thought back on the previous year and a half and said, No. There was no way I could do it again. I spent months on bed rest with preterm labor for baby number one. Bed rest. Pain. Hospitals. There was no way I could do that while taking care of another baby.

It wasn’t just logistics. I was not happy. Not unhappy or depressed, just not fun, pleasant, or good to be around when I was pregnant. Some women have morning sickness, others retain a lot of water. When I was pregnant I was humorless, stressed, and worn. I looked like a subject in a Dorthea Lange photo.

When I told my family that I was going to have another baby, the majority of the response was, “Oh.”
And the enthusiasm continued throughout my pregnancy. I was put on bed rest. Hated everyone but my 1-year-old. Ate as though I was feeding quintuplets. We even found out we were moving from Berkeley to Los Angeles. Loads of stress.
But then, 10 days after his due date, my baby was born. And what kind of baby is born under these less-than-ideal circumstances? The most wonderful boy. Happy from day one, sweet and lovable.

It may sound like a cliche, but I didn’t think my jaded heart had room for any more love. But really, I had no idea how much love I was capable of. And I was not prepared to fall head over heels in love with my baby.

But 6-years ago today, I did. Happy Birthday, baby!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tagged: , , , ,

Comments: 8

1. Mercedes @BeChicMag August 30, 2011 at 4:40 pm Reply

How sweet! Happy birthday to your 6-year-old :) Many blessings.

2. Lisa Quinones Fontanez August 30, 2011 at 5:42 pm Reply

Beautiful! Happy Birthday to your 6 year old – enjoy the day with your family!

3. New York Chica August 30, 2011 at 7:58 pm Reply

And it was all worth it!! Happy birthday to your little one.

4. Ericka August 30, 2011 at 9:45 pm Reply

Happy birthday to your little angel!

5. L.A. Story August 31, 2011 at 3:00 pm Reply

Aww, Happy Birthday, Little Guy!

6. The Wise Latina Club September 3, 2011 at 7:05 pm Reply

Happy Birthday, Bundle of Blessings! Chica, this line made me guffaw out loud: “When I was pregnant I was humorless, stressed, and worn. I looked like a subject in a Dorthea Lange photo.” I haven’t had a baby, much less 2, under all the stress you described, but I RELATE. You found the grace to soldier through and open your heart to love. May we all be that open to receive this greatest of gifts!

7. Carla September 6, 2011 at 3:34 am Reply

Felicidades to your sweet boy!

8. Maura at The Other Side of The Tortilla September 6, 2011 at 3:35 am Reply

Hapy belated birthday to your sweet boy! Sometimes the unexpected things in life turn out to be the most wonderful! :)