I’ve always wanted a Le Creuset caste iron pot and finally got one for my birthday earlier this month (my husband got it at an outlet for half the price!). I’m in love with it. The first thing I cooked was this roast chicken and it came out incredibly tender and delicious. I bought the chicken at Trader Joe’s and it was brined, which made it even better in my opinion. So did the Cravon frozen potatoes and rainbow carrots that were cooked in the pot with the chicken. Here is the very easy recipe.
Roast Chicken with Potatoes and Rainbow Carrots
- 1 brined organic whole chicken from Trader Joe’s
- 1 lemon
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 6 rainbow carrots or carrots
- 16 ounces of Cravon cubed cut fries (about half the bag)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the carrots into 1 inch pieces and set aside. Wash the chicken thoroughly with cold water, inside and out. Pat dry.
- Place the chicken in the pot. Cut the lemon into quarters. If you’re using dried thyme, sprinkle 1 teaspoon dried thyme into the chicken cavity and then place the lemon quarters and 4 garlic cloves into the chicken cavity. If you’re using fresh thyme, use about 10 sprigs and place in the cavity with the lemon and garlic.
- Rub the butter and garlic over the chicken. Do Not Salt. Place the carrots and potatoes along the sides of the chicken. Cover and cook for 45 minutes. Take the cover off of the pot and cook for another half hour or until the internal chicken temperature is 165 degrees. Make sure and check temperature at 45 minutes so you don’t overcook the chicken.
- Let the chicken sit uncovered for about 20 minutes and then cut and serve.